When looking at information online, use these questions to help you determine whether the source is credible:
Who created the web page?
- Can you tell who wrote or created the content?
- Is there an "about us" page?
- Are they an expert on the topic? How can you tell if they're an expert? [Hint: Google their name to see if you can find out anything else.]
When was the web page created?
- When was the web page created? Or do you know when it was last updated?
- Was it published recently? Can you tell how old the information is? [Hint: In some fields and for some topics, this is very important.]
Who sponsors the information?
- Can you tell who funds the web page?
- What can you tell about the organization sponsoring the information?
- Do they have any conflicts of interest? [Hint: Google the organization to see if you can find any other information about them.]
Is it relevant?
- Is the information relevant to your topic or assignment?
- What is the purpose of the website or information? Entertainment? Education? Something else?