To get the most out of Zotero, you will need to install the following applications in the order listed below:
1. Microsoft Word: Zotero will automatically detect and install a plugin to Microsoft Word upon installation. All CSP students have access to Microsoft Office free of charge. To request an install link for Microsoft Office, contact the CSP Help Desk at: email@example.com
2. Google Chrome: Google Chrome is currently the only browser supported by Zotero.
3. Zotero 5.0 for Windows and macOS: Zotero's standalone client allows you to organize your documents and sync across devices.
4. Zotero Connector: A plugin for Chrome that allows you to grab and save sources from anywhere on the library's website or the open web.
5. Foxit Reader (or any other pdf editor): While you can use any pdf editor with Zotero, Foxit Reader is a great candidate as it is free and has robust note taking features. Using a pdf editor with Zotero is optional, but highly recommended if you want to use Zotero to manage your notes.
6. ZotFile: ZotFile allows you to extract annotations from pdf files. This plugin is optional, but highly recommended if you want to use Zotero to manage your notes.
Please see the tabs in the "Installing Zotero" box below for help with steps 3-6 of the installation process.
Zotero 5.0 is the main program that you will use to grab and organize sources, create and organize your notes, and cite your sources. All of your sources will be saved in Zotero's cloud, allowing you to access them from any computer.
Installing Zotero 5.0
1. Register for an account at Zotero.org.
2. Download and Run the Zotero 5.0.X.Setup.exe File:
3. Open the Zotero 5.0 Client and log-in to your Zotero account in the preferences tab to enable syncing:
Zotero Connector is a plugin for Chrome that allows you to save sources from any website to Zotero 5.0 with the click of a button.
Installing Zotero Connector
1. Install the Zotero Chrome Connector:
2. Click "Add to Chrome:"
3. Click "Add extension" when prompted:
ZotFile is a plugin for Zotero that will extract your notes saved in pdfs to Zotero 5.0 for easier organization and navigation.
1. Download the ZotFile Extension:
2. Open Zotero 5.0 and Navigate to Tools > Add-Ons:
3. Select "Install Add-on From File:"
4. Navigate to the Zotfile.xpi File Select "Open:"
5. Click "Install Now" When Prompted: