AMA Style uses numbers in superscript within the text to indicate a citation. Those numbers are used to match in-text use to the reference list, starting with the number one.
Full citations are listed in the references section at the end of your paper. Citations are listed in the same order that they first appear in your paper, instead of alphabetically like most other citation styles.
An exception to this is personal communications. Like many other styles, personal communications do not appear in a reference list and are referred to in parentheses within the text of the paper.
Numbers in superscript are used to match in-text use to the reference list. For example, it might look something like this:
The report1 found that...
...corroborated these findings.3
Multiple references can be cited at the same time:
Johnson et al stated1-3,5 ...
Page numbers can also be included:
The first study1(p45),5 found that...
Reference Lists are at the end of your paper and have the heading 'REFERENCES'.
Citations are listed in the same order that they first appear in your paper, instead of alphabetically like most other citation styles.
Reference lists in AMA style also differ in that they do not start on a new page, do not use hanging indents, and are single-spaced.
See below for an example.
1. Chevan J, Clapis PA, eds. Physical Therapy Management of Low Back Pain: A Case-Based Approach. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2013.
2. Krauss J. The Kaltenborn-Evjenth concept. In: Chevan J, Clapis PA, eds. Physical Therapy Management of Low Back Pain: A Case-Based Approach. Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning; 2013:67-93.
3. Monsen RB, ed. Genetics and Ethics in Health Care: New Questions in the Age of Genomics Health. Silver Spring, MD: American Nurses Association; 2009. Accessed November 18, 2015. https://www.wolterskluwer.com/en/solutions/ovid/genetics-and-ethics-in-health-care-new-questions-in-the-age-of-genomic-health-8627
4. Healthy eating and drinking: a nutritional guide. Patient brochure. Fairview Health Services. Accessed July 29, 2020. https://www.fairviewhealthservices.org.assets/pdf/healthy-eating-drinking-nutrition-guide.pdf.
5. Saal K. Introduction to Practical Nursing. PDF lecture notes. BlackBoard. Updated February 15, 2019. Accessed March 2, 2020. https://csp.edu/blackboard/NU411/html
Library and Academic Support Services
Concordia University, St. Paul
1282 Concordia Aveneu
Saint Paul, MN 55104